By Ines Quandel
As of July 1, Alberta has relaxed almost all COVID-19 related restrictions. Mask mandates and size restrictions on gatherings have been lifted, and stores can once again go to 100% capacity. The government’s decision was based on lower case numbers, and a 70% vaccination rate for people over 12 years of age.
The rise of the COVID-19 Delta has experts in the scientific community concerned that the decision to lift restrictions was premature. So at this point it becomes a personal decision for each of us as to which safety precautions we continue to follow. It is a decision that should be based on the information made available to us through the media and our government agencies.
Personally I followed and appreciated the rules that were put in place to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus, but I’m happier now that the restrictions are being removed. It has turned my thoughts to what a post COVID-19 world will eventually be like.
Do we go back to the ‘old normal’ or create a new normal?
In my opinion, we should think about which measures we would like to discard and which we would like to keep once this pandemic has ended for good.
My person list is:
1. Social distancing from friends and family is out. Even us introverts miss spending time with our loved ones in person.
2. Travel restrictions were necessary, but I still found that level of control uncomfortable.
3. Arrows on the grocery store floors. I did so many extra laps around the aisles.
4. Reduced store capacity limits. The extra space in the store was lovely, but waiting in line wasn’t all that fun.
1. Staying home when you’re sick. Even if it isn’t COVID-19 I still don’t want your cold or flu.
2. Masks, for those who can’t stay home wearing one when you are under the weather.
3. Sanitizing the grocery cart handles, those were major germ spreaders even before COVID-19.
4. Safety measures in long-term care facilities and old age homes. It kept the number of flu deaths down last year, and we should strive for that every year.
What does your list look like?